A Word Of Advice Regarding ActiveRain Community Guidelines
In June 2009 I chatted about the ActiveRain Community Guidelines and provided a short set of fave quotes. Now I am going to give you guys a word of advice that should also serve as a gentle warning.
1. When you comment on a writers blog and they have the setting checked off to receive e-mail notifications your comments are forwarded from the ActiveRain server.
2. If you edit your original comment and update it on a writer's blog, the server sends an e-mail notification that you commented and provides your edited comment, so there is still a record of the first comment and the exact moment the second comment replaced the first comment on a blog post.
3. When you act as if you didn't make the first comment, and stand by the second comment as if it is the first, the e-mails from the server impeach your statement. You can't pretend the edited comment is your original comment. (If readers print this out and fax it to a writer to complain that means other people have already captured your original comment. If the writer has already downloaded and saved the web page the writer already captured your original comment).
4. If you delete your comments because people call you on it, the record has already been established and you can't take it back.
5. There is a reason why the community rules say do not attack another member. The electronic paper trail doesn't go away no matter how much you wish it would.
I know when I owe someone an apology. Do you? Stop digging a hole for yourself. Play nice in the electronic sand box people. E-mails have headers that contain time stamps, code routes and confirm origination. I have better things to do than keep telling people I am done having a particular conversation. Sometimes, you have to know when to leave people alone when they ask you to.
Like all blogging moments, this too shall pass. The question is, do you want it to pass quietly or with a big bad bang?
I vote for the quiet passing. How about you?
Please feel free to read The ActiveRain Community Guidelines here. I think sometimes we forget ourselves while we wander about cyberspace making unsubstantiated statements as if speaking from a position of authority when that position has not been granted and does not exist. It is a grave thing to commit business torts. Never casual think you can interfere with someone else's business in a public forum with impunity. You never know when a competitor may decide to make an example of you because you've provided so much for their attorney to work with. It's even worse when attorneys you don't know read it and want to volunteer to make a case for you.
Play nice people. You have no idea who is following your blog on any given day.
As for me, my work is done. I'm going to meet Sana for a snack and make arrangements to go to MD to see Margaret Rome. I'm thinking a working three day mini-vacation. One of my buyers is interested in a Maryland investment. How cool is that? Very. :-)
Disclaimer: Any comments and contributions provided on ActiveRain.com (or other electronic or print media) does not establish an agency relationship with any third party. Blog posts are intended to be informational only. Please be advised that real estate practices vary in regions and from state to state and market to market. The information contained herein does not constitute legal advice. All parties in need of legal, accounting, tax, or real estate guidance are directed to consult with the licensed professional of their choice. Please seek specific guidance from a retained professional in the specific field(s) required to service your interests. I and/or team blog writers make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this web site and its associated sites inclusive of but not limited to CarolynTannStarr.com MySpace/TannStarr 46486 NY Working Moms Examiner ActiveRain Group Club Chaos ClubChaosAgents.com CyberMinions.net CTannStarr Outside Blog CTannStarr Localism Blog TannStarr.net UberMental.com
© Carolyn Tann-Starr, 2008-2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from the re-blog authors (when appropriate)and Carolyn Tann-Starr is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Carolyn Tann-Starr, (the re-blog authors when appropriate) and Wordy C's Blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.